Online Master of Human Computer Interaction
The Human Computer Interaction Graduate Program is pleased to announce the addition of an Online HCI master’s degree program, M. HCI, effective with the fall 2017 term. This degree program was created from the growing demand from business and industry for a graduate degree program that provides education in the field of Human Computer Interaction.
Students in this program will be required to take four courses, one each from the Design, Implementation, Phenomena and Evaluation categories. However, M.HCI students must take two additional courses of their choice from the list of core courses or the list of recommended electives. M.HCI students will therefore be required to take a total of six courses (18 credits) from those listed below and the remaining four courses
(12 credits) would be electives of your choosing.
- HCI/PSYCH 521 — Cognitive Psychology of HCI
- HCI 595 – Visual Design for HCI
- IE 572 – Design and Evaluation of Human Computer Interaction
- HCI/ME 580 – Virtual Worlds and Applications
- CprE/ComS/ME 557 – Computer Graphics and Geometric Modeling
- HCI 584X – Python Application Development in HCI
- HCI/MIS 655 – Organizational and Social Implications of HCI
- HCI/ArtGR 589 – Design and Ethics
- JL MC 474/574 – Communication Technologies and Social Change
Note: A grade of ‘B’ (3.0 GPA) or better is required for each of the core HCI courses.
- HCI/ME 525 – Optimization Methods for Complex Designs
- HCI 574 — Computational Implementation and Prototyping
- HCI 587 – Models and Theories in Human Computer Interaction
- HCI 596 – Emerging Practices in Human Computer Interaction
- HCI/ IE 681 – Cognitive Engineering
- IE 577 – Human Factors
- HCI 510X – Foundations of Game-based Learning
- HCI 530X – Perspectives in HCI
- HCI 560X – Learn to Speak AI
Courses are available online through Engineering Online Learning using streaming media over the web. The courses consist of recorded lectures delivered using streaming media technology as well as teacher-student interaction via chat-room, email, and phone conversations. More information about the streaming media technology used to deliver the courses is available on the Engineering-LAS Online Learning Support page.
Tuition and Fees for Online Courses
Students taking online courses are assessed in-state tuition plus a distance education fee and a computer fee. Additional information about tuition and fees can be found on the Engineering-LAS Online Learning page.
Admission to the Online HCI Program
The Online HCI program is most appropriate for individuals with a bachelor’s degree in a scientific, engineering, business, or artistic discipline, who are pursuing a professional career, and who already have a strong base of information technology skills.
The program requires that admitted students have undergraduate degrees from an accredited university and have graduated with a GPA that places them in the upper half of their graduating class. Demonstrable programming skills will be required. A minimum TOFEL score of 95(iBT) will be required of all non-native English speaking students. Candidates may be considered for admission by the HCI supervisory committee if they do not meet all these requirements but otherwise show outstanding potential. However, all students must meet the university’s minimum requirements for admission.
Other admission requirements for the Online HCI program include the following:
- Transcripts, test scores and other indicators that the student applicant can be successful at the graduate level.
- 3.0 GPA.
- TOEFL score of 95 iBT or greater or IELTS of 7.0 or greater for nonnative English speakers.
- Demonstrated ability to write software competently. This requirement can be met during your course of study in the program.
The HCI Graduate Program Application Process
- See How to Apply
Applications for the Online M.HCI program is accepted throughout the year.
For questions about the HCI Graduate Program, please contact the HCI Program Coordinator by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone at 515-294-2089.